FanPost

Trades and Richards

We're all big Ranger fans and pretty much know what's going on with the team on a regular basis.  All this "banter" (lol) of trades and Brad Richards is fun to talk about but not really realistic.  I like Richards a lot.  He's an elite talent and no doubt would add something to the team.  But here's the problem:  What do you give up in trade for him?  I think it starts with Dubi or Cally, a prospect and a high draft pick.  Would Sather do that?  I know I wouldn't as much as I like Richards.

The proper play, IMO, was to clear the decks and sign Kovy even knowing how things have turned out in Jersey.  The reason is that you would have had 2 snipers and improved TWO lines as opposed to bringing on a #1 center that will just improve the Gaby line.  Even with a #1 center, how many more goals does that line score?  Gaby had over 40 last year with basically no elite center.  I believe that whomever trades for Richards will sign him to an extension so the talk of signing him as a FA will not even be an opportunity if that happens.  So, IMO, if the Rangers want Richards then they will have to trade for him AND sign him to a big contract for him to waive his no-trade rights.  Would it be worth it and would it help?  Nope.  This team, as we know, has way too many holes in it (right now) to compete for a Cup.  The King, Gaby, and Richards would be older in 2 years when the next wave of youth is brought on board.  What about lower level trades?  Exactly who are we going to give up that other teams would take?  All the young core that we want here and who are not available.  IMO, this is our team this year and next until the next wave of youth come into the fold.