Rangers Recap: Biron Leads The Way

The Rangers pulled out a gutsy 2-1 win in a scrappy game against the Calgary Flames. Martin Biron was excellent in goal and Dan Girardi had a hand in both Rangers goals including the game winner on the power play.

The first period was a tough one for Michael Sauer. He threw a dangerous hit on Stefan Meyer, driving him from behind into the boards. As a result both Tom Kostopolous and Meyer dropped the gloves with Sauer during the period. When you play a hard hitting game like Sauer, you're eventually going to be forced to defend yourself. Sauer answered the bell and took care of  business.

Brian Boyle picked up his 9th goal of the season as he caught the Flames on a terrible line change. Boyle was looking for Ruslan Fedotanko on a 2-1 and his pass deflected off of a Flames defenseman's stick beating Mikka Kipprusoff in-between the legs.

The Flames tied the game up at one when Jarome Iginla continued his hot streak off of a feed from Jay Bouwmeester on a 3 on 1. After Curt Glencross cross-checked Ryan Callahan in the back of the head.. yes, the same Glencross who took Chris Drury's head off in Calgary last season.. the Rangers made him pay as Girardi took Derek Stepan's feed off the face off and ripped one by Kippursoff for a 2-1 lead.

The third period was one of those periods where keeping your head on a swivel was a requirement for survival. The hitting was hard and furious. Especially after Marc Staal demolished Matt Stajan with a ferocious hit as Stajan paid the price for admiring his own pass entering the zone.

With the win, the Rangers improved to 12-9-1 on the season as they leave New York for three games on the road.

(Ed. Note: I apologize, I'm swamped with work tonight, whatever I missed have at it in the comments)