FanPost

Seriously, de F***

Well well well, who'da thunk it?

I had my fingers crossed that a team in my FH league would lose this week, and it was only inches away from defeat. But no, thanks to a 1G-3A-4P performance by a certain defenseman, no such thing happened.  Don't tune out yet though, I wouldn't complain about such small things if it weren't part of a bigger issue.

At the beginning of the year, who would you have expected to lead all defensemen in points by the end of Q1 of the season?  Most would have picked Mike Green, who is currently 16th with 5-8-13.  Others might have selected Mr. Norris trophy, Duncan Keith, who sits in 10th with 2-13-15.  A bold few might have backed Dan Boyle, who has an excellent total 3-15-18 that has earned him 7th place.  But if none of those three are even in the top five, who could possibly be number one? Gonchar? Chara? Lidstrom? Captain Hindsight? Nope.

Dustin Byfuglien.  Dustin Byfuglien? The guy who had only 34 points last year? The guy who was deemed unnecessary on defense and then turned into an extra forward? The guy who spent most of his time between the 3rd and 4th lines? Indeed, that guy.  Big Buff has 9 goals, 16 assists, and 25 points in 24 games as a defenseman playing for a pretty bad Thrashers team.  Only two other D-men have more than 5 goals so far, and he's pushing on 10.

How could this have happened? How does Big Buff have more points than Getzlaf, Heatley, Datsyuk, Kane, and Stastny, all of who have played the same number of games?  How is Lidstrom still the best defenseman in the league at age 40?  How have Carey Price and Tim Thomas been so damn good?

What could you possible tell me next? That Brian Boyle has as many goals as Alexander Ovechkin? Pffft, like that'll ever hap- OH GOD KILL ME NOW!

P.S. Ahmad, notice my new signature.  Even though he's not at 35 points yet, I'll consider that anyone who can get 25 points in 24 games will get at least 10 points in the next 60.