Continue reading after the jump....

Gilroy is an offensive defenseman, so there is not a whole lot of physicality to his game. That is where Tortorella has been disappointed with Matt and that is why Eminger and Sauer are playing over him. If you recall, Gilroy was sent down to the AHL last season because the coaching staff was not happy with his battle level. Battle level usually starts with using  the body in a gritty way, something Gilroy is not exactly accustomed to doing.

Matt Gilroy

#97 / Defenseman / New York Rangers

6-1

201

Jul 20, 1984

If Gilroy could somehow build in the physicality area of his game, there is no doubt in my mind that he would be in the lineup every night and his name would not be in all of these trade rumors. But that does not seem like it is happening anytime soon, so that means he will most likely never have a spot on Tortorella's defense. It is unfortunate for him, but you have to realize that hockey is a business as well as a sport.

GM Glen Sather has already stated his desire for a first line center for Marian Gaborik. Teams are obviously going to be looking for youth in return, but Slats would be making a mistake by trading players of this team's core away. Gilroy is young, but not necessarily a part of the core since he does not always play. Therefore, he is probably Sather's most valuable and reasonable trading piece. I would hate to see Gilroy go, but I must admit that trading him for a needed center might make sense.