Goals By Skyscrapers Not Enough, Caps Defeat Rangers 5-3

NEW YORK - NOVEMBER 09: Henrik Lundqvist #30 of the New York Rangers saves the shot of DJ King #17 of the Washington Capitals at Madison Square Garden on November 9 2010 in New York City. (Photo by Nick Laham/Getty Images)

It seems terribly unfair that the Rangers lose on a night when Derek Boogaard scores his first goal since before the invention of Twitter, but if you are a Rangers fan, you know full well that life isn't always fair.

A pair of goals by Brian Boyle and a slapshot blast by Boogaard weren't enough as the Rangers dropped another game on home ice, losing 5-3 to the Washington Capitals at Madison Square Garden.

Boyle got the Rangers on the board early, but every time the Rangers took the lead, the Caps had an answer, but eventually the Caps had all the answers, and the Rangers just had questions.

With Henrik Lundqvist on the bench for the extra attacker, Brooks Laich found the empty net for his second goal of the game, and the Rangers were finished.

John Erskine, Mike Knuble, and Matt Hendricks were the other goal scorers for Washington.

The Rangers will take another shot at winning on home ice when they take on the Buffalo Sabres on Thursday night at MSG.

Final Thoughts:

  • It seems redundant and sour to always complain about the officiating, but it was pretty bad in this game. The goal that Ruslan Fedetenko had waved off should have counted.
  • The Rangers have got to stop just dumping the puck when they have the goaltender pulled, or at least do it when you have somebody headed for it. Too many times the last two games they've dumped the puck, had no one in the zone, and it led to an easy clear for the defense.
  • All in all I can't really complain too much about the way the Rangers played. Couple of errors here and there, the Caps just have too much firepower to keep up with.
  • Sinus infections suck, just sayin.

More after the jump.........

Couple of Banter-related notes:

Just to prove that Derek Boogaard really did score a goal, here is the video from NHL.com

Capitals vs Rangers coverage

Capitals vs Rangers recap