FanPost

Heritage Game Idea

This year, the NHL is hosting a heritage game in Calgary, I think (double check my source).  If I read the article correctly, the former all stars and hall of famers in the NHL will be playing in those games.  This got me thinking of an idea, involving the NY Rangers and the rest of the Atlantic Division.

Just a thought... wouldn't it be cool if the Rangers, Devils, Islanders, Flyers, and Penguins played an Old Timers game against one another? The teams would be composed of former players who are retired or in the hall of fame.  Fans can see their past favorite players play again against old foes.

What I would like to see personally, for example, is a heritage game between former Rangers and former Devils.  If this idea was to work, I feel like the games can be hosted at the Garden and draw more publicity.  It doesn't have to be outdoors, unless one of those teams besides Pittsburgh is hosting the Winter Classic.  That would be sick.  If it does work, these can be the rosters...

NY Rangers

Forwards:

  • Mark Messier "C"
  • Adam Graves "A"
  • Wayne Gretzky (even though I don't consider him to be a true Ranger)
  • Brian Mullen
  • Darren Turcotte
  • Tony Amonte
  • Glen Anderson
  • Esa Tikkanen
  • Jaromir Jagr (bring him back from the KHL)
  • Alexei Kovalev (assuming he retires)
  • Petr Nedved
  • Martin Rucinsky
Defensemen
  • Brian Leetch "A"
  • Jeff Beukeboom
  • James Patrick
  • Jay Wells
  • Kevin Lowe
  • Darius Kasparaitis (I'm aware people don't like him, I just couldn't find someone else)
Goalies
  • Mike Richter
  • John Vanbiesbrouck

New Jersey Devils
Forwards Defensemen:
  • Scott Stevens "C"
  • Bruce Driver
  • Ken Daneyko
  • Scott Niedermayer "A"
  • Vladimir Malakhov
  • Tommy Albelin
Goalies:
  • Chris Terreri
  • Glen Resch (needs the exercise)
  • Martin Brodeur (if he retires by then)