Rangers Lose Callahan To Broken Hand

During the first period of tonight’s game against the Penguins, Ryan Callahan broke his left hand blocking a shot. The Rangers alternate captain will be on the shelf for a while, as broken hands are not something that heal quickly. As we have seen with Chris Drury and his broken finger, these things take time, and he won’t’ be able to come back until he can grip a stick properly.

This is yet another injury to an important Ranger player. They just can’t seem to get everyone into the lineup at the same time. The minute Drury comes back, Callahan goes down. Broken hands are generally a 4-6 week healing time, but Callahan will be further evaluated tomorrow. This means Todd White will be sticking around a little bit longer, assuming Callahan gets put on long term injured reserve.

[Note by Rob Luker, 12/15/10 10:08 PM EST ] UPDATE: Steve Zipay via twitter:

Break is on top of Callahan's left hand. Not sure if it's displaced on not. Re-exam tomorrow, but initial diagnosis is: Out six weeks.

Good, great, grand, WONDERFUL.