FanPost

MSG/MSG2/MSGPlus Info

I know a lot of people are peeved that the Rangers were bounced to MSG2 last nigh so I thought I would try to shed some light on this since...well I'm The Suit after all...

Three things come into play when the Knicks/Rangers are getting the boot to MSG2 or the Devils/Islanders are getting booted to MSGPlus2 . 1) Which team is home and which team is away 2) Ratings 3) Contract obligations.

When it comes to deciding if the Knicks or Rangers get booted, the home team usually gets broadcasted on MSG, same if Devils and Islanders are on at the same time. This is done to make sure that an equal number of games are on the main channel. Afterall, every team plays 41 home games.

However, this changes when hockey playoffs come around. If the Rangers are on the road and it’s a playoff game and the Knicks are home and it’s a regular season game, then the Rangers will usually be on MSG. This is done to capitalize on playoff ratings. Rangers playoff ratings generally exceed Knicks regular season ratings…especially late in the NBA season when the Knicks are typically out of it.

The Rangers can’t be placed on MSGPlus if the Devils or Islanders are playing because the Devils and Isles organizations are sure to negotiate that into their TV contracts. They want to be seen by the most people possible too, so there’s no way they would let the Rangers bounce them from “their own” network.

Now as far as HD feeds go. Cablevision has MSG2 in HD. I am not sure about Time Warner or Comcast, but they may not carry HD feeds for MSG2 due to the cost for the feed...

Not saying I agree with any of these decisions, just explaining what I have heard about all this....