FanPost

Trade Gaby?

Let's realize something right off the bat, like it or not, sports is a business.  It's about making money and winning (which brings in the money).  No one, let me repeat, NO ONE is exempt from being traded or tradeable.  If you look at the situation with Gaby he is here for 5 years.  If you look at his history prior to him signing here he is one of the most talented snipers that can't stay healthy.  Last year he was virtually injury-free and scored 42 goals.  A lot of those goals by February, 2010.  The Olymipics came and went and Gaby was not the same, effective player, for whatever reason.  Let me say that I am a huge Gaby fan BUT he is not a big-time player.  Never was and that trend continues.  Let's face facts.  He was not there for the team down the stretch and him not being one of the 3 shootout participants WITH THE SEASON ON THE LINE is playing small.  This was not a regular, regular season game, this was the SEASON, and Gaby's on the bench.  I don't think much of that quite honestly.  We all know the result:  A half-hearted attempt by a player the team no longer wanted after the season was over.  So here we are, a new season, and Gaby has a decent point total but he has not scored in a lot more games than he has scored.  If we played the Isles and Oilers of the league 20 times each then Gaby might have 80 goals but they don't.  They play teams like the Flyers, Caps, Pens, etc. that do not allow players like Gaby large amounts of space for which he can do his magic.  Gaby's now been hurt (at least) twice.  So, is it here we go again?  Or just a fluke?  Or is it that he's sensitive to Torts' comments?  Was last year the "fluke" in Gaby's 5 years here where that will be the only "good" year we get out of him?  So what do they do?

My opinion is that the Rangers SERIOUSLY have to consider trading Gaby now.  Quite honestly, I think the team plays better now without him.  This team FINALLY has an identity and a distinct playing style.  It's a blue collar, in your face, type of game.  It's not pretty but it is effective.  Gaby's game is no where near this style of play.  Way too many players, including Dubi, are "deferring" to Gaby instead of "shooting first."  Torts is turning the team upside down to "get Gaby going."  Torts is screwing with the formula and the lines that made the team successful for one player.  A player that was getting a boatload of minutes and producing virtually nothing, the Isles and Oilers games aside.

I participate in a lot of fantasy sports leagues (don't laugh, lol) and when you trade players, you want to trade them at their highest PERCEIVED value.  Which means that a lot of times other owners trade for "names" as opposed to productivity.  I say trade Gaby NOW before he loses significant value due to lack of production or injuries.  He's got 3 and a half more years here.  Do we really assume that he will be fairly healthy and productive for all of them?  Ahhhh, no.  Last season appears to be the exception, not the rule.  I say look at teams like the Kings, who are starving for a sniper and that have a slew of young players that would fit in nicely with our team and the team's direction.  IMO, the only current veteran that has any value going forward for this team is the King.  Everyone else is a square peg in a round hole.  Trade Gaby now before it's too late and we're stuck with another $7.5M contract and getting very little in return for that money.  Ok, let me have it, lol