FanPost

Rangers Split Personality: Which One Is Real? Do They Even Know?

I am sure you are all familiar with the following cliché: "I would rather be lucky than good."  I am sure you are also familiar with the sentiment that no matter how it happened the W is all that matters.  I am having trouble reconciling the two when it comes to the Rangers in the sense that I cannot tell on many nights if what they are showing, or at least the results are from luck or being good as I am left with the sense that they played mediocre hockey but got a W.  I am all for getting the ugly win and everything that goes with it, but when every win right now feels like that ugly win that could have easily flipped the other way, especially against teams they are supposed to be better than it is tough to fully grasp what this team truly is.

Join me inside for a look at the multiple personalities of this team and maybe we can figure out which is the real one.

It seems like just about every game, especially of late, there are two different versions of the New York Rangers team that are on the ice during play.  One version looks like it could be a contender if all went right in terms of how they can impose their style; how their style can create chances and frustrate opponents; how they block shots, kill penalties and stifle chances for their opponents either with their D or with their goaltending; how they fight through adversity from game to game and within the game; and finally how they can stand toe to toe with anyone in the league for long stretches of a game.

The other version is a lethargic team is one that: cannot complete a pass; gives up odd-man rushes like a spigot; hands the puck to the other team anywhere and everywhere on the ice; misses the net on chance after chance; is burned by speed in all phases; gets pushed around in front of their net and doesn't look like it could compete against an AHL caliber team.  This leads me to two different questions today: Which version of this multiple personality team is the dominant one and When does the fact they cannot control the one that gets them in trouble start to really bite them against the bad teams too?

The rest of this article can be found at here:

Rangers Split Personality: Which One Is Real? Do They Even Know?