FanPost

Rangers in the Shootout: What happened?

For a while, Henrik Lundqvist's supposed dominance in the shootout was a subject of note for both mainstream writers and bloggers everywhere. But was it really dominance? He definitely hasn't been dominant recently. And suspiciously no one heaps shootout accolades on him anymore.

The folks over @ behindthenethockey have the reason why: no NHL goalie is dominant in the shootout. In fact all NHL goalies who have been put into the shootout have performed pretty much the same.

Why is that? Because the shootout is such a huge crap shoot that it dominates any difference in NHL goalie skill.

Does that take anything away from Lundqvist? No. He's still an upper echelon NHL goalie. All of that king of the shootout stuff we used to hear? Just a bunch of hooey.

But don't take my word for it:

http://www.behindthenethockey.com/2010/12/29/1901842/nhl-shootout-is-a-crapshoot