FanPost

Lebrun update on Richards

I know most of you guys are tired of hearing about Richards but i have to do it

From Pierre Lebrun on ESPN

I was told Saturday the New York Rangers’ interest in Brad Richards (set to be an unrestricted free agent July 1) is serious enough that they’re willing to pony up assets before the Feb. 28 trade deadline to make sure he doesn’t go elsewhere should the Dallas Stars decide to put him on the market in order to get value before he leaves. This despite the fact the Rangers could get him July 1 without giving up any assets.

Obviously, the carrot here for Richards, who has a no-movement clause, is his relationship with Rangers coach John Tortorella. The two won a Cup together in 2004 when Torts was behind the bench for the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Now this is Lebrun, not Eklund, so its probably from a reliable source. I just dont understand how they can get Richards and stay under the cap.

Including Rozi in the deal would be a good way to get it done while staying under the cap, but do they trust Gilroy enough to play him the whole season alongside another really young player. Rozi would make sense for the Stars because although his cap hit is 5 mil per, hes only due 3 mil next year.

Could Frolov go the other way? Stars can take him on and just let him loose at the end of the season or they can even trade him to some team in need of an overrated, overpriced European. not sure how much theyd get back for him but better than nothing i suppose

Thoughts?