FanPost

Salary Cap Rising: Does It Change Rangers Options?

The salary cap and what number it is set at each year is something that New York Rangers fans have had to follow very closely over the past few years because the club was in salary cap nightmare based on some of the huge contracts given out by Glen Sather over the years.  Last season the cap after being expected to go down surprisingly rose from 56.8 to 59.4 million and while 2.6 million might not seem like a whole lot is the reason deals like Marc Staal and Dan Girardi got done this past summer.  Now this coming summer there has been a lot of talk and speculation about the Rangers going after Brad Richards of the Dallas Stars, but before that happens the Rangers have five integral players who are RFA’s this summer: Brandon Dubinsky, Ryan Callahan, Artem Anisimov, Brian Boyle, and Michael Sauer.

Find out what the cap is going to next season according to reports and what if anything it means for New York.

This morning as the Board of Governor’s meetings are getting underway in Florida the reports are now circulating from Dave Shoalts of the Globe and Mail that the bump could be as much as 3 million for next year if the inflator is exercised and bring the cap to 62.4 million for 2011-12 season.

The reality for Rangers fans is they really do not care why the cap will be whatever it will be just what it is and what it means for their hockey club.  So, what does an increase to 62.4 million mean for the Rangers?

Before all Rangers fans go writing the checks to and buying the jerseys for Brad Richards on Broadway let us look at what the current cap scenario looks like, project what the key pieces that the Rangers should bring back are and then see what is left.  The following guys will surely be one from the team roster by next season: Alex Frolov, Todd White, Matt Gilroy, Vinny Prospal and probably Ruslan Fedotenko.  The key players that the team needs to sign are those I listed at the start and possibly Steve Eminger as an unrestricted free agent.

For the rest of the article including my breakdown of the Rangers current cap situation, what to expect the guys they have to bring back to make and what if anything would have to happen to go get some of the big names that are out there follow the link.  Does Rising Salary Cap Change Rangers Options? Richards/Parise Types Now Possible?

http://bleedingallblue.blogspot.com/2010/12/does-salary-cap-rising-mean-more.html