After making a horrible pass from behind his own net that led to an Ottawa goal, Michael Sauer found redemption in the best possible way: by scoring his first NHL goal late in the third period to give the Rangers a 5-3 victory over the Ottawa Senators in a game that was as ugly as a hairless cat.
Ugly, poorly played, mistake-filled, pick your adjective. But on the bright side, the Rangers battled back, coming from behind three times in the game, and it was a game where very few Rangers had a strong performance.
Derek Stepan got things going for the Rangers, scoring just two minutes after Mike Fisher put Ottawa on the board. Jason Spezza then gave Ottawa a 2-1 lead in the opening minute of the second period, but Ruslan Fedetenko matched that just over a minute later to tie the game.
Fisher scored his second of the game in the third period, but Erik Christensen tied it, Sauer put the Rangers ahead for the first time in the game, and Brandon Dubinsky put the Sens to bed with an empty netter.
The Rangers are now 11-4-1 on the road, maybe they need to go back to wearing white at home.
- I never thought I would say this, but I sure hope Steve Eminger is ok.
- Congratulations on your first NHL goal Sauer, but that pass from behind your own net is ridiculous. Hockey 101 type stuff.
- Henrik getting run, nothing called, same old story.
- Derek Boogaard: another fight, another injury. I think from now on I am calling him Donald Boogaard, or Derek Brashgaard.
- We hit the magic number of 1000 comments in the game thread last night, great job guys, and "Name That Clown" is becoming a popular game within the game, thanks Dig Deep!
- Ugly, but we'll take it. Winning ugly beats losing pretty any day.