FanPost

Cap Misinformation

Something that I've seen here, and at countless other hockey web sites/blogs/forums, and that has been "generally accepted" as accurate, is the "Over 35" Contract Rule. This has been a hot topic lately due to the status of Donald Brashear.

Well, I happened to be reading some of the information over at Andrew Gross' "Ranger Rants" (Link) where he indicates that he received information that is contrary to the "generally accepted" stuff.

What's been "generally accepted" - and repeated by any number of us based on hearing it from "hockey insiders" and experts? Basically, that when a SPC (Standard Player Contract) is signed by someone after they've reached their 35th birthday, that essentially their salary and cap hit remain with the club, even if they retire, are waived, demoted to the AHL, etc. etc.

So, based on the information in Gross' article, I decided to go digging through the NHL/NHLPA CBA document.

Lo and behold - there it is - buried (twice actually) in different sections of Article 50.

Details after the jump...

Here's a photo/snip of 50.2 (c)(iv) - found on Page 190 of the CBA:

Over35_cap_medium

So - we've all been led astray - and have been leading others astray like lemmings.

Look at the first 3 lines:

....by a Player who is in the second or later year of a multi-year SPC which was signed when the Player was age 35 or older...

Since Brashear is in the 1st year of a multi-year SPC, his entire cap hit is removed when he is sent to the AHL this year.

If this were next year - since he would be in the 2nd year of the contract - only $100k would be removed from the cap hit.

Nothing like going straight to the source. Proves yet again that just because "Joe Expert" says something doesn't make it true.

~dbmaven~