2010 Winter Olympics: Team Canada holds off furious Slovakian comeback, will face USA for Gold

Patrick Marleau (11) of Canada celebrates his goal against Slovakia with Dany Heatley (15) in their mens's play-offs semifinals hockey game at the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics February 26, 2010. REUTERS/Todd Korol

Ever since Team USA upset Canada last week, Canadians have been dreaming of a rematch. Now they will get it on the biggest Olympic stage of them all, the Gold Medal game.

Canada got goals in the first period from Patrick Marleau and Brenden Morrow, and added a second period goal from Ryan Getzlaf that proved to be the game-winner.

More after the jump.........

Slovakia mounted a furious comeback late in the third, getting goals from Lubomir Visnovsky and Michal Handzus, but early offensive futility did them in, as Canada outshot the Slovakians 10-4 in the first period, and 28-21 for the game. Boy does this feel like a Ranger recap or what?

Speaking of the Rangers, Marian Gaborik was not on the ice in the third period, the reason why was not given. Hopefully we will hear something soon.

In the meantime, we can look forward to the USA and Canada in the Gold Medal game Sunday at 3:15 EST. If my numbers are correct, Canada and the USA have met in the Gold Medal game six times, with the USA winning once, in 1960. The USA will be gunning for its first hockey gold since, well, you know.

Slovakia and Finland will meet tomorrow night at 10 PM for the Bronze.