FanPost

Prospal's Trade Value

I speculated a couple weeks back that Vinny Prospal if we dealt him should net us a pick like Toronto's 2nd from Boston because of his expiring contract, ability to play in all situations and versatility as both a center and a winger.  The question I am now asking myself as I keep reading about the Ray Whitney rumors from Carolina is was I undervaluing Vinny because all I keep seeing is that teams like LA and Pitt have floated the notion of first rounders for Whitney.  I would think that while Whitney is a better pure goal scorer that the value of Prospal should be about equal to that of Ray.  So, is the market overpaying for Whitney because of the dearth of teams selling at the moment, could and should Prospal net a similar return to that of Whitney and if that is the kind of return Prospal could get  (potential 1st rounder) how can we not sell him?

Boston and Phx still jump out at me as teams with the need for another forward.  Phx lost Upshall for the year this week and even though it is owned by the "league" i dont see how they could reject a deal to take on prospal's minuscule salary without it being some sort of collusive act by the other owners.  Phx also does have an extra 1 this year from the Olli deal last year.