FanPost

NHL News: Ilya Kovalchuk to the NJ Devils

Brace yourselves. Here's the official NHL news here.

Terms are all but official right now. TSN and Andrew Gross report "Atlanta Thrashers receive John Oduya, forwards Niclas Bergfors and Patrice Cormier and a first round pick." Wow - I think that's much better for the Devils than the amount the Rangers were reported they had to bargain with.

I must say I was a little overwhelmed the last few minutes before he was traded. To be offered so much money by a team who's fans adore him, just to turn it down. He's that city's hero - many times the only hero they had on that team - and to be offered an absurd amount of money just to snuff it away. All those fans in Kovalchuk jerseys and he walks away.I hope that if I was ever in his shoes (skates I guess) I wouldn't be so selfish.

Of course, that's how teams get Gaborik too partly. And a big reminder of 'Welcome to Sports' on my part.

Reported by Puck Daddy here.

All the rumors and all the speculation can now come to an end. Ilya Kovalchuk has finally been traded. Atlanta sent the Russian sniper to New Jersey in exchange for a package yet to be announced after days of speculation that a deal would go down.

Kevin Allen of USA Today alerted the world earlier this evening that a deal would go down and it would happen tonight. At 7:30 p.m., Allen confirmed that it was the Devils who made the best offer to Thrashers GM Don Waddell.

As Wysh broke down the contenders this morning, he noted that New Jersey has quietly been in the mix for Kovalchuk and with Thrashers associate GM Rick Dudley in attendance at a Lowell Devils game in New Jersey last night, signs began pointing towards Lou Lamoriello pulling the trigger on a deal.

More information coming as the package heading to Atlanta is revealed.