NHL News: Atlanta Thrashers trade Ilya Kovalchuk to New Jersey Devils

Ranger fans can cross another one off the wish list......for now.

Ilya Kovalchuk, who has been a focal point of many of the discussions here on Blueshirt Banter, was traded tonight to the New Jersey Devils, who shipped John Oduya, forwards Niclas Bergfors and Patrice Cormier and the Devils first round pick in 2010 back to Atlanta.

Kovalchuk will be a free agent at the end of the season, and based on the fact that the Devils didn't give up much to get him seems to point to this being a rental for New Jersey, which means the Rangers could still have a shot at him come July 1st, providing they can free up the cap space.

I can't say I am too upset about the deal, I really didn't want to see the Rangers do something dumb to get him with no guarantee in signing him, and now if they want him, they can get him without sacrificing a piece of the future.

As far as how the Devils improving effects the Rangers, well, honestly, it doesn't. Kovalchuk on the Devils isn't going to change the fact that the Rangers can't score more than two goals most nights

In the meantime, Ilya will be issued his Devils jersey and bulletproof vest for home games.

Full story from TSN