Rangers News and Notes: 2-9-10

Remember Andres Ambuhl? The Rangers signed him from Switzerland in the off-season, and he has been playing in Hartford all year. Yesterday, Jim Schoenfeld reassigned Ambuhl to the Swiss National Team for the 2010 Winter Olympics.

Ambuhl has four goals and three assists in 50 games for Hartford, I think they will be ok without him.

The USA team will play Switzerland on February 16th for their opening game.

The Rangers will have a new ECHL affiliate next year. The Charlotte Checkers are moving up to the AHL to become the Hurricanes farm team. Mitch Beck at Howlings.net has the full story.

Dave over at the Blueshirt Brothers says that even though Zots gets all the attention, he thinks Matt Gilroy is having the better year.

Matt Gilroy’s Plus-minus is at +4. That’s the best of any defenseman on the team. In fact, it’s the 5th best plus-minus of all Ranger players. Only Gaborik and 3 guys who have been his linemates have done better.

Our buddy Greg at Metro Hockey says the Rangers should extend Olli Jokinen's contract:

Since being acquired from the Calgary Flames with Brandon Prust, in a robbery that had underachievers Ales Kotalik and Chris Higgins heading the other way, Jokinen, the four-time 30 goal scorer has played very well. It has only been two games, but he is proving to be the first center with both size, strength and skill that the Rangers have had since Eric Lindros was acquired in 2001. Not that Jokinen is at his skill level, but comparisons can be made.

Like we've discussed here on the site, Larry Brooks talks about Matt Gilroy joining the offensive play more.

Gilroy has spent most of the season on the third pair, partnered with Wade Redden. He is the only Rangers defenseman with a plus rating, though his plus-four is in at least in some measure due to the matchups he has been assigned by Tortorella and assistant coach Mike Sullivan.

Tonight on Blueshirt Banter Radio, we'll recap the week in Rangers news, talk about the upcoming trade deadline, and take your phone calls at 646-478-4692. Hope you can join us.