FanPost

Top Prospects in College Hockey (CCHA, WCHA)

Just found this on the western college hockey blog in a ranking of the top 50 college hockey players and our wisconsin badger brothers both made the top 10, but it may surprise you the order and rank in which they made it.

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/2010/2/25/1324825/2009-2010-top-50-nhl-prospects

The general disposition I have gotten from comments made on the board has been a disappointment with the lack of numbers that McDonagh has put up this year and how that downgrades his stock as a prospect and while we all love to see more numbers all the reports I have read on him have talked about how he is doing exactly what his club needs him to do and that he has been a hitting machine, much like what we fans have been clamoring for in a d-man for years.  To see Ryan ranked 3rd in all of college hockey in this list is a little surprising to me especially when Brendan Smith has been such an offensive force for the same club, but speaks highly of McDonagh's all around game even if the offense hasnt been there as prolifically as we would hope this year.

The Joe Pavelski comparison for Derek Stepan is one that might disappoint some Ranger fans in that after the World Juniors the names that were brought up were bigger stars and more prolific scorers, but i think Pavelski is a pretty good comparison in terms of production to look for in the 50-60 pt range with great leadership.  Speaking of leadership qualities today on his blog Jess Rubenstein discusses that and a conversation he had with Stepan in the frame of how this new GROUP of prospects is coming up together caring about one another and how that will pay dividends down the line for us.  I happen to agree and I also agree that Stepan is a future captain of this club and it is because of the all around game and personality i see in him that the thought for a while has been about getting the most talented young players around him to continue the culture change that started under renney and i think has somewhat stalled with Torts.

Jess' article:  http://theprospectpark.blogspot.com/2010/03/they-are-starting-their-own-evolution.html

Also on the list was Carl Hagelin who for the most part around here goes unmentioned but has had a very good year for the Michigan program and plays a very physical style which isnt always the case with european players.  He has earned an EL deal with the Rangers, we will now see if they give it to him this summer.