With Time Running Out, Rangers Need to Show Fight, Rangers-Flyers Preview

Rangers fans have had today's game circled on the calendar since January 21st, when Flyers goon Dan Carcillo took on Marian Gaborik, used him as a punching bag, and the Rangers stood around with their hands in their pockets, the biggest culprit being Dan Girardi, who was closest to the beating.

Here was Girardi's quote to the NY Post after the game:

"I guess I was overthinking it, Girardi said."I didn't want to take another penalty, because I knew we already had one there on Brandon Dubinsky, but I should have gotten involved. I should have jumped in. Maybe it was the wrong decision, but it was the decision I made at the time. If there's a next time, I would go."

It's still a hot topic amongst Ranger fans and around the NHL, and we are all anxious to see what will happen today. Since that game in January, the Rangers have acquired two guys capable of dropping the gloves in Brandon Prust and Jody Shelley, and most of the faithful are expecting one of them to step up today and do what their new teammates seemed so unwilling to do that night.

The Rangers haven't stood up for each other a whole lot this season, which to me is unfathomable. We've seen Henrik Lundqvist get run, Drury get clobbered, and Gaborik get his head handed to him in a fight, while the rest of the team casually observed. Maybe, just maybe, this team can show a little fight today and stick up for each other when the moment comes. The playoff picture looks pretty bleak right now, but today is the perfect opportunity for them to show they aren't going down without a fight.

Preview after the break.......

Philadelphia Flyers at New York Rangers

Sunday, March 13th, 3:00 PM EST MSG

Season series: This is the fourth of six meetings between the teams, with the Flyers taking 2 of 3 so far. The Flyers came away with a 2-0 victory in their last meeting on Jan. 21 in Philadelphia. Rangers will finish the season with a home and home against the Flyers.

Last Ten: Flyers 7-2-1      Rangers 5-3-2

STATS
67 GP 68
36 W 30
27 L 29
4 OT 9
76 P 69
0.567 P% 0.507
2.97 G/G 2.59
2.69 GA/G 2.71
22.9 PP% 18.8
81.5 PK% 83.8
31.6 S/G 29.8
28.9 SA/G 30.1
50.1 FO% 49.8

Michael Leighton is expected to get the start in goal, he is 8-1-1 with a 2.56 goals-against average in his last 11 starts. However, he has struggled in the last two road games - both losses - posting a 4.41 GAA while getting pulled once.

I don't think I need to tell you who is expected to start in goal for the Rangers.

For more on the Flyers, check out Broad Street Hockey