FanPost

What's worse? The Avery Rule, or the Matt Cooke Rule.

It's amazing what the people in Toronto are doing when they review the rule book, or decide to change a rule in the middle of a season or in the middle of the playoffs. Was it the right thing to do?, or the wrong thing to do. Well let's review that certain rule that made everyone upset about two years ago when the New Jersey Devils played the Rangers in the first round. Game 3 at MSG & the Rangers lead 2-0 in the series.

The score is 1-1 in the second period and the Rangers are on a two man advantage power play, with 1:30 on the Devils penalties. Sean Avery has already skated towards the net to screen Martin Brodeur. But instead of turning his back, Avery decides to face Marty and waive his stick. Of course Avery does this several times and no penalty was given. At 6:50 of the second period Avery scores the goal on a quick feed by Scott Gomez to give the Rangers a 2-1 lead.

Even though the Rangers lost Game 3 in overtime, they would win the series in five and on Prudential Center Ice in Newark. But after Game 3 Colin Campbell already creating a rule after Sean Avery on how not to screen the goaltender. If any player wishes to screen the goaltender and doesn't do it the proper way, gets a two minute penalty. In my view Sean Avery never touched Brodeur, never interfered with Brodeur. In fact the two things he was guilty of was blocking Brodeur's vision to see the puck and using his brain to create the moment.

Now we come to a man who is hated in the NHL by the fans, players and his teammate Bill Guerin. Matt Cooke has been known to give dangerous hits, cheap shots & concussions. Now I didn't see the hit Cooke gave Marc Savard when the Bruins visited Penguins on Sunday, March 7th. But thanks to CBC's Don Cherry during his Coaches Corner segment, we saw Matt Cooke's resume.

First it was the cheap knee to knee hits on Mats Sundin & Vinny LeCavalier. Then we all remember the cheap way he started a fight with Chris Drury after Drury delivered a clean check when the Rangers won in OT on February 12th. But now it's high elbows and cheap shots to the head like he did to Savard and to our own Artem Anisimov, but sadly Savard got it worse. Marc Savard never knew Matt Cooke was coming & he got blasted.

If you click the link below and move the cursor to 1:29 on the player you can see Don Cherry get animated about what Cooke has done to Marc Savard. At the same time I have to agree that the NHL has done the wrong thing by not suspending Cooke for his actions. They have said they will put a rule into effect for the start of next season. In my view the NHL are a bunch of hypicrits, because it was easier to stop Avery's antics than to take a stand on cheap shots to the head of hockey players. Sure they are looking at it now, but this should've been taken care of a week ago.

Matt Cooke is very lucky he didn't have to use his get out of jail free card. But right now the target on Sidney Crosby's back just got bigger. You know someone like Daniel Carcillo is already itching to get Sidney in his crosshairs and take him out. But if the NHL is going to suspend Danny Boy, the roar in Bean Town will be so loud and angry there could be a field trip to Toronto and protests at the front door.

But let me say this as I believe what's good for the goose is good for the Gander. If Daniel Carcillo is reading this, or if any Flyers fans wants to read this. Please tell Carcillo to give Matt Cooke a taste of his own medicine. I honestly don't care how he does it, but make sure it's quick, painless and he isn't moving on the ice at all. Then Sidney Crosby is fair game and we shall see how the NHL will protect their golden ticket.

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Sports/CBC's_Hockey_Night_in_Canada/ID=1440151444