FanPost

My Take on What We Should Do in The Offseason

With everyone giving their opinions I feel I should give mine.

Ok The one glaring problem on this team is its defense. When you only have 1 reliable defensive defensman there is a big problem. Now to start I would Ideally waive Wade Redden to the minors but if that does not happen I would expect Michael Rozival to be traded so we will go with that. Then I would give Stall a 2mil raise which would be roughly 2.8mil which would leave us with roughly 14mil left. Now we have 4 defensmen under contract, Staal, Del Zotto, Gilroy, and Redden. For one of those spots I would bring up either Sangs or Heikkinen(assuming he is resigned). I would prefer Heikkinen because of his better physical and more defensive play of the puck. Then I would make a Free Agent splash and sign Dan Hamhuis for roughly 4mil. This will leave us with 10million and change, with 5 foward spots left to fill. The under contract fowards include, Gaborik, Callahan, Dubinsky, Drury, Avery, Anisimov, and Boyle. First I will fix Boyles wingers, and sign Prust to a .5 or .75 mill contract but for here we will go with .500mil, and then sign a fighter for another of the previous figures we will go with .75 for heaven sake. This would leave us with 8mil of cap room. Next I would Resign Prospal and Lisin to similar figures as this year, which would leave us with approxamatly 6mil left. Now we have one forward spot left and our position of real need is Center. Now FA centers are scarce in this years FA pool, and the only player I would go for would be getting Nicklas Backstrom with a Phil Kessel type deal. But this is highly unlikey and basically a pipe dream so we can go with two options. Either bring up a Forward such as Grachev or Stephan possibly??? or we can sign a decent FA. I would opt with the FA signing in not rushing either Grachev or Stephans development. Now Im going to pull a somewhat educated guess of a FA signing and say we sign Alexi Ponikarovsky for 3mil that would leave us with about 3mil left. There we can use for the resigning of Alex Auld and keep the rest for future transactions. Now I know I may be overpaying for people but that was just to be safe in knowing we can get them signed. So thats what I have to say about this.