FanPost

Can Anisimov be counted on as second line center?

Just wanted to get some thoughts on this.  The way I see it we currently have one legit first liner under contract in Gabby, two to three legit second liners (depending on anisimov, as cally and dubinsky are definetly legit second liners), and tons of legit third liners that will be possesion of the NYR next year.  Avery and drury are locks, and are perfect third liners.  Christensen and lisin are good third liners and are RFA's, while Boyle could potentially be upgraded to third line next year and prospects such as Parentau and grachev and stepan should be capable of third line next year.  However back to the point, if Anisimov can be counted as second line center next year the Rangers would only have 2 needs in the top 6, however they would both be on the first line.  If they are able to resign prospal and somehow hit the jackpot and are able to land seguin then we would have 6 capable top 6 players right there.  Now, of course that leaves us with a lack of firepower, but its definetly a workable unit with a few smart free agent signings of the prospal type (cheap low risk deals on veterans that could stabilize the roster).  That allows the Rangers to upgrade their horrific defensive unit through free agency.  A puck moving defensemen and a bruiser are desperately needed (I say spend the money on the puck-mover, dont spend too much for too long on a bruiser, puck movers that can play good D are also harder to find)