FanPost

Shhhh!!! They're watching!!

We've had several indications during the course of this season that people in positions of "prominence" read various NYR blogs - whether that's players, coaches, executives, beat writers, etc. An example would be the "Kotalik to be traded" stuff that broke first on this site, and was "pooh-poohed" by a couple of the big media outlet writers.

After last night's OT win over the Devils, there was an exchange between John Tortorella and Rick Carpiniello - who's a regular beat writer. The audio - at least on the MSG feed - was very unclear, so it was not possible to hear what the question was that Rick asked. Clearly, whatever it was, torqued Torts more than a bit - what ensued sure looked like it had the potential to escalate into a "Brooksian" situation.

In today's issue - Carpiniello speaks directly about this - and adds that "all is good" because he had a private conversation with Torts shortly thereafter.  Here's the Link.

The more interesting part, for me at least, is that the players are engaged in this as well.

  Anyway, a pretty prominent player, whose name doesn’t matter, walked by me on his way to the bus. He said, “write something nice tonight. No lottery (pick).”

The power of the internet. Amazing. As recently as 5 years ago - this sort of thing wouldn't happen. Now - every fan can effectively "reach out and touch" the players with their comments. Hopefully, they see it for what it is - the passion of people who want the same thing they want - a Stanley Cup.