Rangers News: Rangers Recall Parenteau and Eriksson from Hartford

Andrew Gross of Ranger Rants is reporting that the New York Rangers have recalled veteran defenseman Anders Eriksson and forward P.A. Parenteau from the Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL) this afternoon. As far as Parenteau goes, the reasoning behind this move is most likely because Ryan Callahan, who left last night's game against the New Jersey Devils with a lower-body injury, may not be able to play tomorrow in Toronto.

Callahan originally suffered the injury against the Bruins when Zdeno Chara collided with him along the boards, and last night's minor bumping seemed to aggravate it. Also, Brian Boyle is currently out of the lineup with an undisclosed injury, so Parenteau could be a replacement for him as well.

Anders Eriksson, acquired by the Rangers at the deadline, will suit up in a Blueshirt uniform for the first time since being traded from the Phoenix Coyotes. Eriksson has registered three assists with the Pack so far. Why is he being brought up? Well, it could be one of two things, really.

First, head coach John Tortorella may want a seventh defensemen traveling with the team being that they are on the road for their next couple of games. On the other hand, Tortorella may have intentions on having someone that is currently on the Rangers blueline sit for a night and give Eriksson a shot. The coach has not commented on the call-ups just yet, so his reasoning remains unclear at the moment.

This from Gross:

With Brian Boyle (left foot) certainly out tomorrow night against the Maple Leafs and Ryan Callahan (right leg) most likely out, the Rangers have brought up right wing P.A. Parenteau from Hartford (AHL). Also, veteran defenseman Anders Eriksson, recently acquired from the Coyotes, was brought up. Don’t recall a Rangers’ defenseman hurting himself in last night’s 4-3 shootout victory over the Devils. However, Wade Redden logged 15:58 and Matt Gilroy just 10:05 while Dan Girardi played 26:15 and Marc Staal was on the ice for 27:42 and Michal Rozsival played a whopping 30:24.