FanPost

The NHL Eastern Conference: Comedy? Or Tragedy??

C'mon folks! You've gotta be kidding me?!!!?

This is like watching an old 3 Stooges Movie...Atlanta, Boston, New York as the "stars", with Philly and Montreal ready to step in as guest stars!

Monday night, when both Boston and Atlanta could have distanced themselves just a bit from the NYR, Boston manages to lose to Buffalo by a 3 - 2 count, and Atlanta gets dominated by Carolina by a score of 4 - 1.

Boston could have moved into a dead heat with both Philly and MTL at 82 points with a win. Atlanta could have tied Boston if they'd won and Boston, as they ended up doing, lost.

Florida had a chance to move within 2 of the NYR, and they managed to lose to Nashville, 3 - 2.

Nobody really wants those 7th and 8th seed spots.

"Here - you take it."

"No no no.....I insist - it's yours...."

"I couldn't, really! Please - after you."

The best part may well be that whichever of these comics manages to secure those last 2 spots - they're going to get dominated in round 1. That, of course, is when the comedy turns into a real tragedy......

The standings:

6 Philadelphia Flyers ATL 76 38 32 6 82
7 Montréal Canadiens NE 76 37 31 8 82
8 Boston Bruins NE 75 34 29 12 80
9 Atlanta Thrashers SE 76 33 31 12 78
10 New York Rangers ATL 75 33 32 10 76
11 Carolina Hurricanes SE 76 32 35 9 73

Edit/Update: Appears that Andrew Gross has similar (though not necessarily as "comedic") thoughts:

If the Rangers do make the playoffs this season, it will not be so much because of Henrik Lundqvist, as coach John Tortorella has now guaranteed twice (after Saturday’s 3-2 overtime loss at Toronto and again after yesterday’s practice) but because the other Eastern Conference playoff contenders the Rangers are battling are as mind-numbingly inconsistent as they are.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/comments/good_breaks/