Rangers Recap: Penguins defeat Rangers 5-4 in OT

The Rangers had a two goal lead, and stopped shooting the puck. That's how a 4-2 lead became a 5-4 overtime loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins tonight at Madison Square Garden.

Rangers jumped out to an early lead on a goal by Artem Anisimov that banked in off the post. For Double A, it was his tenth goal of the season, and first since the last time Pittsburgh came to Manhattan, which was back in January.  Sean Avery picked up an assist, and now has a modest three game point streak going. Wade Redden assisted as well.

The Penguins came roaring back with two quick goals from Chris Kunitz and Jordan Staal, Kunitz's goal came on a 5 on 3 power play for the Pens.

Anyone who reads this site on a daily basis or listens to our radio show knows that no one has been tougher on Chris Drury than yours truly, but I have to give full props when they are due:  With the Rangers down 2-1, Drury scored a goal from his knees, facing the opposite direction.  It deserves to be on every highlight reel you see for the 2009-2010 season. Drury has been making me eat my words the last few weeks, and I couldn't be happier about it.

The only thing that may have been more unbelievable than Drury's goal was what happened two minutes into the second period:

Find out what was so unbelievable after the jump.......

"I don't believe what I just saw" said our own "Dougee" in the open game thread.

"You sir are not alone *BLINK BLINK* RUBS EYES*HOLY CRAP" was all "dbmaven" could say.

"Pigs are flying!!!" was "froese99's" reaction.

Those types of responses could only come after Michal Rozsival scores a goal, which he did to put the Rangers ahead 3-2.

Brandon Dubinsky kept it going with his career high 15th goal of the season, and Marc-Andre Fleury's night was done, having given up four goals on just twelve shots. Dubi has three goals in his last four games.

Mike Rupp (him again) scored to bring the Pens back within one. Rupp has four goals this season against the Rangers.

In the third period, the game just got ridiculous. The Rangers, despite having a 4-3 lead, were being outshot 32-15 going into the third, and did not register a shot on goal until there was four minutes left in regulation, and by then the Penguins had tied the game on a goal by Alex Goligoski.

In overtime, after a hooking penalty on Wade Redden. Evgeni Malkin won it for the Penguins on their 55th shot on goal.

As you might expect, Sidney Crosby's reception at MSG was somewhat different than what he has gotten used to the last few days. Crosby even felt the wrath of Henrik Lundqvist, who got in Crosby's face after taking what Lundqvist considered to be a dive in the first period.

It may sound strange, but Hank was absolutely brilliant tonight despite giving up five goals. He made at least ten (Fifteen? Twenty?) spectacular saves, and a lesser goaltender loses this game in a blowout. The bottom line is that despite scoring four goals, the Rangers didn't play hard enough on defense, and had one shot on goal after the end of the second period. When that happens, you deserve to lose. Their goaltender however, as has been the case so many times in his Ranger career, deserved a better fate.