FanPost

Matt Cook's Suspension

        Okay, well I'm not sure if anyone will agree to what I am about to say and if you do, I'd like to get your thoughts on this. Matt Cook's recent love of head hunting has put him in a suspension situation again. Now we all know from earlier on in our season Arty was hit in the head by Cook but was able to get off the ice, but was having some major headaches after the hit.  Cook has been know as a repeat-offender for hits like this, I believe 3 this year alone. GM's are getting together to have a meeting about head hunting, hits-to-the-head, and players who are repeat-offenders (Matt Cook). Mark Savard is out indefinitely because of the hit, and they're saying he's not getting better.

          We've all talked about what the repercussions should be for such hits and the players who are head hunting. Some suspensions now include the following: 2+ games with a lose of pay or  a straight suspension. We all know this is bull-crap. Those are a slap on the hand and a big "no" kinda like the ones you got from your parents growing up. Personally I believe that there should be at least a 3 tier system. You pretty much go to the "3 strikes and your out" rule.

First Offense- Suspended for as long as player is out without pay.

Second Offense- Suspended for the year with only a half years pay, or if late enough in the year your pay is revoked completely.

Last Offense- Suspended indefinitely without pay, and must have a hearing with the NHLPA and GM's to decide whether or not you should be allowed back in the NHL.

        These might sound unbelievably drastic or crazy, but if you look at it and think about those repercussions,  most players might actually back off on the head hunting. I don't know about anyone else, if i saw those were the rules and repercussions for head hunting I'd still check and everything else but I'd make sure i didn't take anyone's head off. That's just my point of view, if you guys have anything better let me know, I'd love to see your ideas and thoughts.