FanPost

Stats don't win the games

I know how many of you in the open thread were saying that Jokinen is better statistically in the shoot out that Gaborik is but here's the kicker...STATS DONT WIN GAMES...stats and numbers are used to try and explain away decisions and help coaches micro manage situations instead of putting guys with the best talent out on the ice. Isn't part of the greatness of sports is its unpredictability yeah the numbers on Gaborik in the shootout aren't great but he's the better player than Jokinen and maybe just maybe Gaborik scores in the shoot out. I feel that Torts choked in that spot. If this game was in december or november then yes use Jokinen but at that moment you need your best player out there and Gaborik should have been taking that shot damn the numbers.