FanPost

A great signing to bring Lundqvist's new backup

For the past couple of seasons we saw Steve Valiquette man the nets and give Henrik Lundqvist the proper rest that he deserved. A tall goalie with quick cat like reflexes and nothing could go wrong with him as he helped the king relax and take the night off. Unfortunately for Steve this past season, something went wrong and after that great start to this concluded season he fell apart and Tortorella lost all confidence in him and he went back to Hartford and stayed in the AHL.

The backup goaltender carousel started with Chad Johnson, then Matt Zaba & of course it ended with Alex Auld towards the trading deadline all the way to the last game in Philadelphia. The only way that Lundqvist gets the proper rest is to get a goaltender that has been a proven back up or a former starter that will no longer be the #1 on their former side. I believe I have the answer as it looks like Auld will be released once the free agency period of the NHL begins after the Stanley Cup Finals.

Yes he has to tolerate Sean Avery as a teammate again and he will get a good number of games to give Lundqvist the proper rest to some back to back games and possible west coast trips. Marty Turco is our man. After nine seasons the Dallas Stars have decided not to re-sign him and this could be a solid signing for next season. He is 34 years old and I understand he could still be sought after as a starter for another NHL team, but I think that his skills are still quality and he can play the puck behind his net.

I understand he hates Avery but if no one is offering him a contract as a #1 goaltender then the Rangers should pick him up a.s.a.p. and he will be needed when Henrik needs a rest badly.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/Dallas-Stars-will-not-resign-Marty-Turco-after-nine-seasons-041310