FanPost

The Upside of Jaromir Jagr

written in response to the post explaining that the Rangers should say no to Jaromir:

We all want to rebuild, but I would love to do it while still staying competitive in the process. We could go young, and maybe also remain competitive. In fact with Jagr we would actually be greatly improved while allowing our young studs to get more experience

Also should Sather smarten up and send Redden to Hartford, we suddenly have a lot of cap space. Now, we all dont want to spend this money just to spend it, and get ourselves stuck in more hindering long term commitments. Instead lets sign Jagr for one year at Redden's 6.5 and there is no long term risk, and he does not hinder the youth movement. No prospects are getting traded, and to be honest Grachev needs another year in Hartford anyway and Stepan probably wont come out. Now this would only happen should we fail to land a Pavelski type RFA, and Jagr is willing to play for a discount (on his standards) because he loves NY. This is far preferable to paying Plekanec a similar salary over 7 years off of one breakout season. Maybe Dubi can even be revitalized playing with Jagr again. In this scenario our lines would look like this: note: I am assuming Rangers sign either Prospal or Demitra, as both of them could be had cheap and on one year deals. They would be low risk high upside signings. For this I will just assume Demitra. Line 1A: Demitra-Christiansen-Gabby Line 2A: Avery-Dubi-Jagr (Jagr's lines were always great on the forecheck so Avery fits in well) Line 3: Drury-Anisimov-Cally (Drury and Cally are a better version of Prust and Shelley. Should be a fantastic forechecking line and all three have goal scoring potential) Line 4: Prust-Boyle-Shelley (Hopefully Boyle can step in for Anisimov without that line missing a beat) extras: options are Voros, PA, and Weisse. The Defense could look something like this: Staal-Girardi Rozy-MDZ Seidenberg-Gilroy

Also realize Jagr would give ticket sales a nice boost, justification for burying Reddens contract in the minors.

I think this is a very competitive team that could be around the 4th best team in the conference next year behind Wash, Pitt, NJ, and similar to the Bruins) they are bound to improve, and Flyers.  This team could have an outside shot at a cup.