FanPost

Trade Target - Ales Hemsky

This almost goes as a no brainer, but with news slowly leaking that Ales Hemsky wants out of Edmonton sooner (via trade) or later (via UFA), it would seem that this should get Sather's attention in a hurry.   In a quick breakdown:

Pros:

  • He's a 26 year old sniper who has never shot below 10% in a season.
  • He can contribute 25-30 power play points with a full season.
  • He averaged .92ppg over the last 5 years (75p / 82 game pace)
  • He has a reasonable cap hit of $4.1m over the next two years.

Cons:

  • He's never played a full 82 games, culminating in his 22 game year in 09-10.
  • Has no value shorthanded.
  • The cost to obtain him will be prohibitive.  From Copper & Blue:  "Start with a lottery pick and add a younger roster defenseman and a high-end prospect"

All told, what you have is a player that can supplement our offense, a 2nd line RW that would feast on 2nd line opponents.   Pair him with Anisimov and both may flourish.  It also allows MZA to move to the 3rd line RW, giving him a potentially easier rookie campaign.   But it comes with the same risks we run with Marian Gaborik, a player that at any moment could be rendered useless.

I think the starting point for the negotiations would likely be something along the lines of Callahan, Sanguinetti, and the #10 pick, with all prospects besides Grachev, Stepan and McDonagh being fair game.

What, if anything, would you give?