FanPost

2010 Free agents worth looking into

Here are five players the Rangers should look at in the 2010 free agency:

1) Dan Hamhuis - The Predator defenseman is a solid hitter and is defensively responsible. His +4 with a defensive Nashville team is certainly not great, but would be one of the best ratings on the Rangers this year. He has also averages over 20 minutes a game and can hit. Last year's salary: $2.2 million, and he'll demand only slightly above that figure this off-season

2) Carlo Colaiacovo - This Blues defenseman is coming off his best point-total season with 32 on an offensively challenged team, and also posted a +8 rating. The 27 year old is used to playing about 17 minutes a game and certainly will clear the crease any chance possible. Last year's salary: $1.4 million and he'll demand just above that

3) Matthew Lombardi - This 28 year old Coyote posted 53 points this season which would have been the third highest on the Rangers. At 28 years old, this +8 player from last season is another center that we can use seeing as we're as deep at this position as a kiddie pool. Re-signing Christensen and making this move will leave Christensen to move to a third line or move Dubinsky to the wing. Last year's salary: $2.35 million

4) Sheldon Brookbank - True, he is a former Devil, and he doesn't bring much offense, but he is a +10 player from last year and plays about 15 minutes a game. He is defensively responsible, and will do a lot for making our defense tougher and has a low price tag for a player who can be a 5th or 6th defenseman. Last year's salary: $.55 million

5) Kyle Wellwood - A responsible second or third line player, he can forecheck, back-check, and make plays happen behind the net. He hits, scraps, and is used to doing the hard work for other players who find the back of the net with more frequency. A plus player every year of his career except for one bad year, but who can blame him, it was the with the Leafs. Last year's salary: $1.2 million, worth the hard work and loyalty.

Honorable Mentions: Anton Volchenkov (Sens), Tomas Plekanec (Canadiens), Andrew Ebbett (Wild)