FanPost

This team doesn't deserve to go to the playoffs.  Period.

***Disclaimer: I originally posted this on TankForTaylor.com, but felt it was relevant here also.  Just thought I'd mention that to clear up any confusion.***

It’s really weird when you can’t behind a 5-0 statement game by your team.  The Rangers went up early and never looked back.  It was 4-0 by the end of the first period, and by that point no one really cared.  The game was over.  Even Aaron friggin’ Voros scored.

Why can’t I get excited about this game is the part we should be worried about right?  If the Rangers beat Florida tomorrow, and with my luck they will, the Rangers could have a very good shot at making the playoffs.  But TankForTaylor why is this bad, we are going to the playoffs?  Playoffs are good right?  You have to be in it to win it!  No.  Not in this case.  The Playoffs are bad.

Why?  You can’t win the Stanley Cup without being in the playoffs right?  Great.  BFD.  The Rangers aren’t going to win the Stanley Cup this year.  This team is utterly mediocre, and frankly this playoff push is sugar coating it.  This team has gotten me though some bad times.  I always had someone to cheer for.  I’ve defended Chris Drury more times than I can count.  I love the Rangers, I really do.  Someone just needs to come out and say this team doesn’t deserve a playoff spot because they don’t.  Making the playoffs would be a travesty for the "New NHL".  This is why you are failing as Commissioner Gary Bettman.  Not because of the "Wheel of Justice" you let Colin Campbell create.  Not because we all know you have a secret crush on Sidney Crosby and frantically market him to cover it up.  Not because you deprived us of a hockey season (we will never forget that) and almost lost the NHL.  Not because the shootout is the biggest travesty in the game.  Because you’ve created a watered-down, boring NHL that lets teams like the 2009-10 New York Rangers possibly make the playoffs.  I’m all for contraction, but that’s for another time and another place.  This league is a joke where no one wants to win the 6th-8th seeds in the Eastern Conference.  Give Washington a bye in the first round then make the 2nd-5th teams play to get in a 3 team round robin to decide the Eastern Conference because anyone below Ottawa doesn’t deserve to make the playoffs (man who thought someone would utter those words this year).

The Rangers had the opportunity to stay within 4 points of 14th place in the Eastern Conference.  I’ve said many times why getting a high draft pick will bring much needed personnel changes in the organization and give us a top rated prospect (As the self-anointed President of the Taylor Hall fan-club I can say at this point it doesn’t matter who the Rangers get, we just need a young player that is NHL ready and can make in impact while our other prospects start to come up) and hope for the future.  This team isn’t winning any hardware in the near future.  They are mediocre and are probably going to stay that way for a bit.  We have too many long-term contracts strapping this team down to make the necessary moves to fix our team.  We rely on waiver pickups to be our top line centers because said contracts are not living up to their hype.  Glen Sather finally has been royal screwed by the salary cap and cannot make his mistakes disappear.  Why not start planning for the future when we can actually compete?

I’ve lost faith in this team.  It took a while, but once again I feel like its 2003.  Frankly this team has been mediocre since 1997 and the way they keep flip-flopping when it matters it seems they’ll stay mediocre for a bit longer.  The Rangers aren’t good enough to tank, yet they aren’t good enough to get a playoff spot.  They suck, but they just can’t suck enough.  No matter what they do they just end in heartbreak.  This isn’t the ‘91 Northstars, there will never be a Cinderella run with this team.  History will not be made.  Infuriating decisions, poor finishes, and another mediocre season is what’s being made.

I just needed to get my frustrations out.  Someone needed to just say without the sugar-coating how bad this team is and how much heartbreak there is going to be.  Thank god there’s another game in the Windsor-Plymouth series coming soon so I have something to look forward too.

SB Nation Featured Video