FanPost

Messier GM

I really have to admit that I love the way that Messier is handling team Canada at the IIHFs.  If you look at their roster, you'll see that most of the players there are early twenties, if that.  To replace Ryan Smyth, the veteran leader of the team, he brought in Eberle, a 19 year old who just played in the world junior championship.  Plus, it seems like he understands how to weed out players who wouldn't be committed or loyal to the team: "how much could they actually give to the team, not only physically but emotionally." Now, with Messier, one can never be sure of whether "emotionally" means drive and team spirit or crying every time they lose.  I think its the former.

If he can bring that same youth-favoring mindset to the Rangers and maybe learn some of Sather's jedi trading techniques, he could end up being a very good GM.