Rangers Acquire Jyri Niemi

In the first trade between the Rangers and the Islanders in 37 years, the Rangers have picked up Jyri Niemi for a 2010 6th round pick.  The 19-year old, 6'3 210 lb winger defenseman played for the Saskatoon Blades of the WHL last season, putting together a line of 8-21-29, with 67 PIMs and a +9 rating.  Niemi was the Islanders 3rd round pick in 2008, and was not going to be signed by the Islanders.  This appears to be a depth move by the Rangers. who are lacking forwards at the AHL level.

With this trade, the Rangers no longer hold picks in the third or sixth rounds of this draft.