NHL News: Penguins and Capitals to Play Winter Classic 2011

Gee, what a surprise.

So, after these silly little Stanley Cup Finals are over, the NHL can get back to what is important: promoting Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin.

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals will be playing in the Winter Classic on New Year's Day, 2011. Maybe we were hoping against hope the Rangers would get the next WC, fueled in part by Gary Bettman's comments earlier this year that Citi Field would be a potential site for the outdoor game.

The Steelers have a home game on December 23rd, just 9 days before the game would take place. I believe it usually takes the league about two weeks to get the outdoor rink ready for play. I guess no job is too big when it comes to Sidney and Alex.

The official announcement is expected to be tomorrow.

Maybe next year Ranger fans.