FanPost

Spezza on Broadway?

Spezza's future in Ottawa in question
TheFourthPeriod.com

Jason Spezza's no-movement clause kicks in July 1 and the Ottawa Sun reports the Senators will be mulling over the future of their star center.

Senators owner Eugene Melnyk will meet with GM Bryan Murray in the near future to discuss an off-season game plan in preparation for the 2010-11 campaign.

While Murray and head coach Cory Clouston will return, Melnyk expects a number of roster moves to be made this summer.

"I think we have to tinker a little bit," Melnyk told the Sun. "I have a meeting with Bryan next week about how we're going to accomplish that with things that are going to be difficult to get done under the (salary) cap."

Spezza, who has five years left on his contract with an annual cap hit of $7 million, could be on the move if management decides to a significant shake-up is required.

"That's going to be Bryan's decision. There's a little bit of misconception about how hands-on I am. I keep myself knowledgeable," said Melnyk. "But at the end of the day, the people that I hire make the decisions because theyre accountable ... and it's their responsibility."

The Senators are willing to spend to the cap max, which is believed to be increasing to $57.7 million.

The Senators have two key impending unrestricted free agents to worry about. Center Matt Cullen and defenseman Anton Volchenkov can hit the open market July 1. Sources suggest the Senators want to keep Cullen, though Volchenkov's expected to test the waters this summer.

What do you think.  Would you like to see Spezza a Blueshirt, and do we even have the pieces to acquire him?