FanPost

Demoting a Defenseman

Its not Redden.

I'm actually thinking about sending down Del Zotto.  Not because I think he should be punished, but because it might help his defense out.  I already know that most of you won't like the idea, I really don't like it either, its just a thought to be considered.  Take Eric Staal as an example: he played his rooking year in the NHL, scored 31 points, and then stayed in the AHL for the next year.  He dominated there, and when he came back to the Canes for his 3rd year he scored 100 points.

There are many problems with this idea:

1) we have a pressing need for a powerplay QB

2) He could easily, (and almost assuredly) progress in the NHL

3) He might look at it as purely a demotion and it could kill his confidence

I'm hoping that he will make Doughty/ Green progress by staying in the NHL.  He showed alot of promise and shit tons of drive.  Any thoughts?