Previewing the 2010 NHL Draft: John McFarland

via cdn3.sbnation.com

Name: John McFarland

Position:  LW

Height:  6'1

Weight:  195 lbs

Age: 18

Home Country:  Canada

Playing For: Sudbury Wolves (OHL)

Scouting Reports After the Jump.......

SI.com:

Scouts raved about him at the Ivan Hlinka tournament, but he's off to a slow start that has one scout comparing him to another former Wolves star: Benoit Pouliot. Scout's Take: "He has all the tools. Good frame, quick feet, hard shot and he anticipates the play well. But he hasn't committed to his play away from the puck...and maybe there are some other issues that will be addressed as he matures. You wonder if he'll ever put it all together."

Hockey's Future:

2009-10: In 64 games for the Wolves, McFarland scored 20 goals and added 30 assists for 50 points.  He added 70 penalty minutes to his offensive totals.  In 4 playoff games for the Wolves, McFarland scored 3 goals.  He played for Team Orr at the 2010 CHL Top Prospects Game.

The Cannon (SBNation home for the Columbus Blue Jackets):

The #1 pick in the OHL's 2008 entry draft, John McFarland came to the Sudbury Wolves with a lot of expectations, having torn through the OPJHL with 96 goals and 68 assists in 46 games. Since then, his star has fallen a bit - after many thought he would be in the top ten, he's settled into a lower tier. Though some of his reduced scoring can be put down to injuries, there are a lot of questions about his production dropping once he reached a higher level of competition, and concerns about his on ice judgement and work ethic - many  scouts are concerned that he isn't applying his full effort.

Jim's Take:

"Questions about his on ice judgement", "concerns about his work ethic", "scouts are concerned he isn't applying his full effort"......Sounds like he could go right from the Draft to the Rangers opening night lineup.