Previewing the 2010 NHL Draft: Mikael Granlund

via kuvat2.iltasanomat.fi

Name: Mikael Granlund

Position: RW

Height:  5'10"

Weight: 172 lbs

Age: 18

Home Country: Finland

Playing For: HIFK (Finland)

Scouting Reports After the Jump....

SI.com:

He's small and Finnish and dominant in his age group, but don't buy into the lazy comparisons to Saku Koivu. Euro Scout's Take: "He doesn't have the same kind of intensity. He's very clever with the puck and has a good shot, though. I like his confidence. He's a 17-year-old kid playing in the top league in Finland and he's leading his team in scoring. He's not fancy but he makes things happen."

Andrew Stars Page:

Was the leading rookie scorer in Finland's top league with 40 points (13 goals, 27 assists) in 43 games. Led Finland in scoring with 7 points (1 goal, 6 assists) in 6 games at 2010 World Junior Championship. Registered 13 points (4 goals, 9 assists) in 6 games as Finland won bronze at the 2010 Under-18 World Championship. Finished first in assists and third in points at the tournament.

SNYRangersBlog:

Called the smartest player in the draft, Granlund isn't ranked as highly as he probably should be. He is playing in the Finnish Elite league and averaged nearly a point per game. He is small, but if he has the same drive and determination, not to mention skill set as Koivu, he shouldn't be looked at as a risk of a pick. If players like Jeff Skinner and Vlad Tarasenko are off the board by ten, the Rangers wouldn't be making a bad pick by taking him and having him come over in a year or two.

"Saku Koivu clone. He's small, but no one's told him he's small. He has a really good, winning attitude, works very hard. He's tough, and he has very good hockey sense." --Goran Stubb, NHL Director of European Scouting