Previewing the 2010 NHL Draft: Stanislav Galiev

via www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com

Name: Stanislav Galiev

Position: Center

Height:  6'1"

Weight: 182 lbs

Age: 18

Home Country: Russia

Playing For: Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL)

Scouting Reports After the Jump......

Hockey's Future:

2009-10: Moved over to the QMJHL, joining the Saint John Sea Dogs for the 09-10 season.  Played in 67 games for the Sea Dogs, scoring 15 goals and adding 45 assists for 60 points.  In 21 playoff games for the Sea Dogs, Galiev scored 8 goals and added 11 assists for 19 points.  Played for Team Cherry at the 2010 CHL Top Prospects Game.

The Cannon (SBNation Home for the Columbus Blue Jackets):

Galiev recently completed his first season with the QMJHL powerhouse Saint John Sea Dogs. The team had a bevy of top forwards, so Galiev's numbers aren't that of a number one sniper- but that doesn't take away from the fact that he is an offensive dynamo. Of all the Russian-born players in this year's draft, Galiev is the least-likely to be a flight risk. By playing in the USHL for a year before joining the Q he has shown a commitment to playing pro hockey in North America.

NHL.com:

  • In the 2010 QMJHL playoffs Galiev led all rookie scorers with 19 points (8-11--19) in 21 games helping the Saint John Sea Dogs reach the President's Cup Final before falling to Moncton.
  • A finalist for the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Rookie of the Year award this season, he was named to the All-Rookie Team finishing second in rookie scoring with 60 points (15-45--60) in 67 games.
  • Galiev, who became interested in hockey at the age of four, was selected first overall in the 2009 CHL Import Draft. He played for the Indiana Ice of the USHL in 2008-09, winning a championship and finishing seventh in league scoring with 64 points (29-34--64) in 60 games.
  • He missed the start of training camp, waiting for his release from Dynamo Moscow, but wasted no time contributing to the Sea Dogs - he had 17 points (5-12--17) in his first 20 games. He was also selected as a member of Team Cherry at the 2010 Canadian Hockey League Top Prospects Game.
  • Galiev patterns his game after Washington's Alexander Semin - "Semin, he's my favourite player. I want to be him."