FanPost

Trades In The Atlantic - Div. Just Got Tougher.

2 big moves that affect the Rangers  took place today.

The Philadelphia Flyers have acquired Dan Hamhuis for Ryan Parent. If Hamhuis does not sign for the Flyers (here's hoping) Nashville also give Philly a 7th. I dont see how the Flyers can sign him unless big ticket forwards are in play, out of Philly. A bold move by GM Paul Holmgren and although Hamhuis is a good player im not sure he addresses Phillys needs (goaltending, goaltending, goaltending).

In another move, Nashville have sent Jason Arnott back to New Jersey for prospect Matt Hallischuk and a 2nd round pick. Quite a price for a 36 year old but Arnott is durable, big, familar with New Jersey and did i mention big? Personally i dont like this from a Rangers perspective. Jersey just got tougher, deeper and simply better. Does this mean the Devils have given up bringing back Kovalchuk? You have to think so as no cap was moved to Nashville in the deal thus meaning Jersey simply took on $$$. It also tells me Jersey are going for it next year. Arnott doesnt represent the future and they give up a good pick (the 2nd is 2011) and Hallischuk was a good prospect who won WJC gold with Canada.

With Philly and Jersey active it will be interesting to see if the Rangers follow suit. The Atlantic just got harder.