FanPost

Another one down.

According to TSN, Tomas Plekanec is resigning with the Montreal Canadiens. From their site:

The 27-year-old who would have been a coveted free agent on July 1, has agreed to terms on a multi-year deal worth an estimated $5 million per year.

The Czech Republic native had a career-high 70 points last season (25 goals and 45 assists), which was also his fourth straight campaign with 20 goals or more.

Plekanec has spent his entire NHL career with the Habs; he was picked 71st overall by the team in the third round of the 2001 NHL Entry Draft.

This personally makes me happy, as Plekanec, while talented, has not put two good seasons together yet, and at $5m is too big a risk.   I know that it will disappoint some Rangers fans, but this should help keep the ship steered in the right direction, towards youth and talent development.

Thoughts?