FanPost

Building towards the future

We all talk about it. We all believe its the right thing to do.  I have to admit, I am in full support of the idea.  Even Sather and Torts have publicly stated their desire to build from within.  But can the front office really pull it off?

Forget about what a few mediocre years will do to Dolan's wallet, he has lebron and the knicks to distract him.  If Donnie Walsh accomplishes what he came here to do, Dolan won't even remeber he owns the rangers, which will give the front office plenty of room to operate.  What i mean is, does Sather have the skill to keep a core of talented young players together, happy, and most importantly, reasonably paid?  He is obviously an atrocious negotiator when it comes to the free agent market, so why should we assume that he will be any better when it comes to signing our own homegrown talent.  The dubinsky contract talks last offseason were long, drawn out and ugly- so what is going to happen next year when both he and callahan need new deals and hefty raises?  More importantly, why has little to no progress been reported on the Staal and Girardi fronts- Sather himself said that these two are part of our core and were definitely going to be resigned, so what is taking so long?  If Kreider, Stepan, Grachev, Werek, McD (and NINO??!!) end up being what we all hope they will be, it is going to be very difficult to keep them together for very long- and Sather is certainly not the man I (and i assume most you out there) want making the tough decisions.  The committment to the strategy is good to see, but the results are all that matter and we are far from being out of the woods.

I dont mean to piss in everyones cherios as the future of these young guns is all we have to look to right now in rangerland.  Its just something to think about and take notice of over the next few years.  That is if Sather sticks to his word and stays in house which is still certainly not guarenteed.