FanPost

PHI: Rights to Hamhuis traded to PIT

Unable to come to terms on a long term deal with soon-to-be Unrestricted Free Agent Dan Hamhuis, the Flyers traded his rights to the Penguins for a 3rd Round Pick in today's 2010 Entry Draft.

PIT has been unable to agree on a new contract with Sergei Gonchar - who has reportedly been seeking a 3 year deal. The Pens, unwilling to risk 3 years on someone already 36 years old, were supposedly offering 2 years - which is still risky - given that even if he retired they'd still be on the hook for the contract.

It would appear that Gonchar will hit free agency now, and Hamhuis will be a Penguin unless his demands are way too rich for the Pittsburgh brass.

Link: Hamhuis Rights to PIT