FanPost

Sign Willie Mitchell

will keep this short and sweet.  The drafting of Dylan Mcllrath was proof that Sather recognizes the need for a shutdown, physical, clear the crease type, stay at home defensemen.  Obviously Mcllrath is not gonna contribute immediately, so for the short term sign Willie Mitchell to a 2 year deal worth 3.5 mil (1.75 per).  This would be a perfect use of the new found money Sather will have after demoting Redden, and is much better use of the money that using it on a big name for a long term deal.  Personally I say also sign one of Tanguy/Prospal/Demitra, but that is besides the point, onto Mitchell.  He was a first pairing defensemen for Van before a concussion ended his season, but that could make him a bargain this offseason.  Vancouver probably won't keep him after trading for Ballard from FLA, so he should make it to free agency.  He would fill a need, and Ranger fans would love the way he plays.  He should be cheap and could be a steal.  I have heard Wash may be interested, but the concussion will likely keep the price low regardless.  I would also love if Rozy could be dealt, as i think he could, to a team that loses out on a free agent defensemen, in fact i even think Lou may be interested for NJ, along with maybe Ottawa, and maybe Phoenix (cap hit wont bother them, and they have a need if they lose Michalek).  Our Defense could look like this with Mitchell:

Staal-Girardi

Mitchell-MDZ

Gilroy-Mcdonagh

extra:Potter or Sauer

If Rozy is not dealt I am also still content with our D as i would just have Mcdonagh start the year in Hartford (if we get him signed) and go with:

Staal-Girardi

Mitchell-Rozy

MDZ-Gilroy

In reality the lines are not too important anyway, as we know they change by the period, but i included them anyway for the sake of simplicity