FanPost

Staal Trade Idea

Now that there is the reports of contract issues between Glen and Marc the rumors will swirl about deals and or offer sheets for Marc. Just throwing this out there cause I have seen it a few places and there is all the talk of Bobby Ryan on here. What about Staal for Ryan? I would really hate to do that because Staal is probably my favorite Ranger, but it is intriguing.

Ryan is going to cost more on his deal that Staal will and really creates hole on D to fix one on O, but it is rare to get a guy who can light the lamp 30-35 times a year these days, especially at 23. Key question for me is whether you think Bobby is a product of playing with Getzlaf and Perry or he will produce similarly without them. The other issue obviously is attempting to replace the huge hole that trading Marc creates in this team. To do that Redden would have to be waived and some of that money would have to be spent on a Hamhuis or even Volchenkov. This leads to another question which is a question of which combination better serves the rangers Staal-Frolov or Ryan-Hamhuis/Volchenkov. Personally I am still not sure if I would do it, but might as well have the discussion.

Further complicating this is how you view the potential of the players in the system.  Up front we have Grachev, Stepan, Werek, Kreider, Horak while on the back end we have McDonagh, McIlrath, Kundratek, Klassen, Pashnin, so there are guys in both spots that in the next couple years can step in, so which side is the bigger need?